VIN 3695 - Dutch Rob's Car

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: VIN 3695 - Dutch Rob's Car

Postby RobvdVeer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Against all expectations I received my remote locking 'system' this afternoon. Wow, a Chinese package arrived within two weeks. Ordered 7th of june, arrival 17th. This never ceased to amaze me.

Back on topic now: Of course it didn't come with a manual. I spent 2 hours googling for diagram of similar devices to find a proper wiring diagram. And I found one (click for larger version)

Yes, the wire colors and the unit matches up. But the problem is that the wires 1 through 6 do all the work, and there's no way to know for sure. I used my multimeter to measure continuity between the 6 wires and I came to the conclusion that they follow a similar pattern. See the 3 examples on the right (please ignore everything else on the diagram as it isn't relevant to my remote):

First I need to figure out if my actuators are 'positive trigger', 'negative trigger' or 'positive and negative' trigger. The first 2 need 3 wires to operate, the last one only 2. This makes it a little more complex if you actuator has 5 wires, because then it can be any one of those (for a 5-wire actuator, there are 2 additional signal wires). Anyway, I found this quote on how to test the trigger type it may be handy (note: the colors in the quote are the colors of the actuator):
Ok get a testlight and put the clip to earth.
Take the other end of the testlight and touch either the Brown or White wire on the central locking module. ( touch one and the locks should open. Touch the other and they should close ) If the central locking doesnt operate when doing this, put the testlight clip to 12v power and try again.
This will tell you whether they require a neg or pos trigger.

That's good to know. Especially if you don't have a diagram. Well anyway, it all comes down to this. There are 2 relays in the remote locking module. One relay pulses on LOCK, and the other one gives a pulse on UNLOCK. The trick is how to wire up these 2 relays. There are quite a few combinations but luckily somebody else did all the thinking for me. I am so glad the Chinese just copy stuff instead of inventing the wheel again.

I think I got it figured out. Let me share my notes.

I found out another bit: the pink wire is connected to ground for 30 seconds when you press the 'lock' button on your remote. The description says 'raise Window Output'. I might do at a later stage, it would be cool to have the windows close up when you lock the car. Then there is this orange wire 'Trunk release, -12V', I guess you can install an additional actuator to unlock the boot. OR PERHAPS AS A DOOR LAUNCHER !?! :dance:

Anyway, it all comes down to this: I bought a cheap remote unit, and now I gotta pay for it. Not an easy installation. Reverse Engineering required. Thank you for reading all the way down to this sentence. It took me about an hour to type it down.
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:34 am

Found the Instructions!

image.jpg
image.jpg (476.61 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:49 am

looking forward to an EMBEDED YOUTUBE video of this working :) hehehehe
VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/LEDs/HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/MOMO/Custom SS exhaust/K&N/SS: f.fascia mounts,brake+clutch lines+tank cover+heat shlds/Posi-quiet brake pds/Poly bushing: steering +f.sway bar +radius.
ALEXAKOS

VIN #: MMMMMCMXCII
Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:58 am

ALEXAKOS wrote:looking forward to an EMBEDED YOUTUBE video of this working :) hehehehe

Myself, I am aiming a little lower. I am looking forward to the car not burning down after pressing a button on the remote. (PS. It is spelled 'embedded', double-D)
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:12 am

RobvdVeer wrote:PS. It is spelled 'embedded', double-D)

It's all Greek to me!
VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/LEDs/HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/MOMO/Custom SS exhaust/K&N/SS: f.fascia mounts,brake+clutch lines+tank cover+heat shlds/Posi-quiet brake pds/Poly bushing: steering +f.sway bar +radius.
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Δεν Ελληνικά καταλαβαίνω.....
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:25 pm

SYNTAX ERROR
C>_
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:45 pm

So i just connected the remote lock thingy to my D. No pictures, because i just plugged it in as raw as I could. I now know it works and how to wire it up. Closing goes brilliant, but opening is a little tough. Time to do that lock and latch procedure again!

I ripped out all the wiring again because I intend to make a proper harness for it, not the pile of junk it is now. To make it really pretty, I even spend the enormous sum of £4,31 for a proper connector:

I have some braided wire wrapping to really make it shine. Plenty of splices to do though:

- 3 wires to 1 12v
- 3 wires to 1 ground
- 1 wire to 2 wires lock (left + right)
- 1 wire to 2 wires unlock (left + right)
- 2 wires to 1 wire lights
- 1 wire to 2 wires (window shut).

Until next time!
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Admin-bloke wrote:Δεν Ελληνικά καταλαβαίνω.....

Its actually.... Ελληνικά Δεν καταλαβαίνω... but your way makes a better point :thumbsup:
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Dammit. I'm not very good at languages, but I'll still keep trying :)
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans