I'd like to take a minute of your time, or: my story so far

For anything else not specifically DeLorean related....

I'd like to take a minute of your time, or: my story so far

Postby RobvdVeer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:24 am

Calling all DeLorean owners /enthousiasts.

After almost two years of hard struggle and pain, yesterday i regained consciousness after a fourth and final operation in my face. For those that do not know, on februari 2012 a huge tumor was found in my left sinus, and things went downhill from there on. After a devastating chemotherapy from march till may i underwent a major 10 hour surgery that wore me out even more. I had lost 25 kg by then, but at least the tumor was out. During surgery they used my left Fibula to reconstruct my upper jaw. It didn't hold so 14 days later the bone was removed, leaving a huge gap in my face. On top of that the donorsite on my leg got infected. I found out that that infection (and not the tumor) would keep me bedridden for the next 12 months or so. I was given a small recovery window after that surgery, but in july 2012 i started radiotherapy to kill the last bits of cancer. It took three months of daily treatment and finished early october of that year. Needless to say this took away the remaining 5% of my energy. On top of this, my jaw muscles have been severely damaged and i have not chewed on anything since march last year which means i'm on fluid foods now 20 odd months. 

Fast forward: i've been doing fysical therapy for 3 months now (since the infected leg was closed) so i could walk again, and prepare for the last operation. And finally yesterday the hole in my face has been closed with some skin and flesh taken from my right arm. Now i need to stay in hospital for 10 more days for observation. 

But i am not yet done. I need to recover once again. And get back to work, and social life. And drive my DeLorean again. FaceBook has helped me enormously in the last two years. Especially all my DeLorean friends i made the last years. What would be my good wish, is to receive a postcard from people that know me or just want to wish me well. I hate to plead, but please send me a get well card to my parents address:

Rob van der Veer
J. van Heemskerckstraat 1
3351 SP Papendrecht ZH
The Netherlands

PS. Crossposted from facebook
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Re: I'd like to take a minute of your time, or: my story so

Postby ALEXAKOS » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:50 am

As much as I was left in an awe thinking this can't be happening to someone...
Simply keyboard chatting with each other on posts gives me the false impression you're just the next door family guy with an job and a "normal" life. And I quote normal cause actually nobody has a normal life. Me for example, have been literally screwed financially after the Greek economic crisis. Not just making less... But actual bankruptcy with a load of law suits by everybody you can imagine. Not making this about me, just giving you the idea of nobody having that normal life.
Buddy, you're a true hero. The fight you are putting on is beyond human strength and I would just love to shake your hand!

But if a post card will give you strength to go on HELL!! I am right on the task of it. Gives me pride contribute and I thank you for asking!!!
I wish I could send you the warm Greek sun cause I know when the going gets tough, just sitting outside with your eyes closed hand having the sun warm up your face is a rejuvenating feeling.

Will go out and find a classic postcard for you with the acropolis on it. You got my full mental support and will try to send over some positive energy with that card of mine!
Keep it up!
VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/LEDs/HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/MOMO/Custom SS exhaust/K&N/SS: f.fascia mounts,brake+clutch lines+tank cover+heat shlds/Posi-quiet brake pds/Poly bushing: steering +f.sway bar +radius.
ALEXAKOS

VIN #: MMMMMCMXCII
Spaxed

Postby andyd » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:32 am

Rob,

Keep it going man. Your energy and enthusiasm are an inspiration. I knew things weren't that easy for you, but the full story puts things in context for everyones life. You know, my DeLorean problems aren't really problems. My work worries aren't really worries. I eat and dont think about it, I walk and take it for granted.

Not today!

All the best for the final recovery. Card on its way.

andy
andyd

VIN #: 814

Postby hana 5284 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 am

I came into the bedroom with Maria sobbing after reading your post on Facebook rob and asked her what was wrong then she read out your post. This really dose put things into prospective ,
When we all look at our lives and think we have it bad we really don't I can't imagine what you have been going throgh for the last couple of years.
The last time we all saw you , you had just driven about 400 miles for a one night piss up at caley hall " mad Dutch bastard" lol . We would really love to see you rob before we are off to oz we will be having a party about the 4th jan 2014 just before we go and if you are upto the trip and well enough would be great to have you there but if you aren't we'll enough would be great to come and see you.
Our door will always be open for you in oz so if ever you want to make the epic trip over it would be a honoure to put you up and show you the sights .
Anyway your bringing a lump to my throat now you shit head look after yourself talk soon
As a great man once said
" your friend in time"
Tyson
EuroTec Head of Transportation / Official Crane Operator
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club

hana 5284

VIN #: Vin 6367
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:05 am

You're still "Our Dutch Rob" and will be seen this way, regardless of any changes on the outside. Keep up the fight buddy, you have my number xx
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Rob,
I knew you had your problems with illness but the full story does hit home. Anyone who has their health should not take it for granted.
Keep your spirits up and expect a postcard from the Emerald isle. :thumbsup:
Kenny

VIN #: 1569

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Rob,

like Alex says, we have chatted over the years via this forum, and others, and you have always been a charming friendly person. Unfortunately I have not yet had the chance to meet you, but had hoped to if I ever get back to Blighty and attend a (insert name here)-Tec event.

I had picked up that you weren't well, but had no idea to what extent. Unquestionably you will be getting a post card from me. Keep strong and I look forward to progress reports
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby RobvdVeer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:25 pm

I am truly moved by all of your kind words and wishes! I will be crying with joy for sure when i see the mailbag! :cry:
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Admin-bloke wrote:You're still "Our Dutch Rob" and will be seen this way, regardless of any changes on the outside. Keep up the fight buddy, you have my number xx

I had to pull every trick in the book and work my ass off on the DeLorean, even kicked cancer's butt,but i've done it. I'm no longer referred to as dutch martin. It's worth it though. I'd rather be me.
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Rob, I knew you'd been ill but I didn't realise quite how bad this had been. All I can say is that I was really shaken when I read your story - and having known close friends who've battled cancer I know how tough it is. My thoughts, hopes and best of best wishes are all with you. I hope you recover speedily from this final operation. Have the docs put any kind of timeframe on when you might get back to something approaching normality?
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Next

Return to Off Topic