replacing/fixing door strut fixing brackets.

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Re: replacing/fixing door strut fixing brackets.

Postby Darren C » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi Phil,

I think it was only the early 500 series cars that didn't have the slot already in the tub (unless someone can clarify) I've seen 3 cars plus mine that has the slot cut to allow fitment of the oval backing plate., Some foam filled with black gaffa (duct) tape over the hole from factory. To fit my plate you need to dig out some expanded foam and cut a smaller slot (letterbox) to the side of the original factory hole or elongate it to get the new strongback in.
Fiddly but well worth it for a good repair. Fill with expanded foam (just like factory did) afterwards and job done. :D

PS. Phil, have you seen the guy restoring a Lotus Carlton who's found a really bad engne repair with a welded together timing chain and split headgasket, on another forum?
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

VIN #: 4532
Spaxed

Postby Phil349 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:46 am

Adrian Bellamy from Lincoln area? Sounds like it might be. I've sold him a whole load of Lotus parts just recently. Including an engine block.
Unbelievable some of the 'fixes' poeple do on these cars!

Ill have another look on my delorean to see if it has the slots, sounds like it should have.
Phil349

VIN #: 1128

Postby andyd » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:53 am

Hi guys,

When I did this on VIN 814, (also April 81) I didn't see any slots. It is possible that mine had been glassed back in and painted black, but I dont think so. So I cut appropriate ones (as small as practicable), dug out the foam and fitted darren's bracket (drivers side only).

With the headlining down tho, I didn't even see any evidence of one on the passenger side.

Maybe they only came on later?? So the backing plate must have gone in in the mould?

a
andyd

VIN #: 814

Postby Darren C » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks Andy,
That would follow with the first 500 cars built theory not having the access hole.
Regards
D
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

Spaxed

Postby andyd » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:22 am

Hi Darren

Darren C wrote:Thanks Andy,
That would follow with the first 500 cars built theory not having the access hole.
Regards
D

Darren C wrote:Hi Phil,

I think it was only the early 500 series cars that didn't have the slot already in the tub

I took this to mean the really early vins (ie the first hundred or so, but I guess its all a bit hazy a) with DeLoreans and b) Early production !!

Testured pontoons discussion, anyone?? Who else has em? :ugeek:

Cheers,

a
andyd

VIN #: 814

Postby Darren C » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:24 am

As far as I can recall, Andy, the very first production car (there were earlier Pilots) started with a 500 VIN number. Don't know why they didn't use 1 to 499? So that what I was calling the 500 series cars (VIN 500-1000).
Hope this helps clarify.
And as you say there are also textured pontoons, different length front springs and quite a few other differences on the early cars, so possibly this accesss slot is another subtle difference to add to the list.

Regards
D
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

Spaxed

Previous

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat