replacing/fixing door strut fixing brackets.

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Re: replacing/fixing door strut fixing brackets.

Postby mec » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:20 pm

mind blowing awsome work from Darren ! and Nice electricals from Admin too !
NTH347X... now DMC 81X
Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395

2009 DMC Europe open house Roadtrip member
Official 2010 Silvercoast "Chaved Banana"
Unofficial 2011 Eurofest Autotest WINNER ! 128.7 secs
2013 Silvercoast DMC Roadtrip Representitive
Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395
Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:37 pm

You're messing moth us Darren!
This is the result of skills, practice and damn good tooling. If my garden had a shed, I would probably get it burned down trying to figure out welding. I am a rookie at TIG. Not to mention. The NASA microwelding!! ???
Hahaha!

Compliments fairly paid mate!

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse typos etc
VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/LEDs/HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/MOMO/Custom SS exhaust/K&N/SS: f.fascia mounts,brake+clutch lines+tank cover+heat shlds/Posi-quiet brake pds/Poly bushing: steering +f.sway bar +radius.
ALEXAKOS

VIN #: MMMMMCMXCII
Spaxed

Postby Darren C » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Just basic tools Alex....you can make anything with the right tools. Even model airports ;)
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

VIN #: 4532
Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:12 pm

WHAT??? Hey are you stalking me? :p
How did you land this conversation on model airports???

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse typos etc
VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/LEDs/HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/MOMO/Custom SS exhaust/K&N/SS: f.fascia mounts,brake+clutch lines+tank cover+heat shlds/Posi-quiet brake pds/Poly bushing: steering +f.sway bar +radius.
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby Darren C » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:08 am

:lol:

No, I just googled your longitude and latitude out of curiosity and got all your model airplane stuff.
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:45 am

hahahaha
Yes my LAN LON details. Seems to catch eyes lately. Looking to drop me a "Bim"? (as Inspector Clouseau said)
Its Kifissia / athens / Greece ;)
Yup models collection, old hobbies. Actually selling those models got me the DMC!!!
And only sold 1/4 of them! ;)
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby flux3d » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:06 am

Got the brackets from Darren today and they are AWESOME! Shed industries could give other DeLorean suppliers a real run for their money. It even comes with DETAILED instructions on how to fit them, including a hand drawn diagram!

Thanks again Darren, you are a star!

I'll hopefully be fitting them in the next week so I'll post on here with loads of pictures of the process.
Mark Sutton

New owner of VIN 10719
flux3d

VIN #: 10719

Postby Phil349 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:09 am

Nice work Darren (as usual!)
How do the backing plates fit? Since the fibreglass body tub in that area is a box section which is filled with foam? You cannot access the back of that surface can you? Or through the hole?
Phil349

VIN #: 1128

Postby Darren C » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Phil,

Yes your right, it is a box section. A new small "letterbox" slot is cut from inside the car to fit the strongback plate. This gives an unequalled strength to the bracket. Once installed with a little Tiger bond/polyurethane sealer, you can refill the new letterbox slot with expanded foam if required.
Because all fixings are on the vertical plane and covered by the door aperture finisher, there is no chance of water ingress and its an invisible repair.
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

Spaxed

Postby Phil349 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:21 am

Good way of doing it. Looking at the car I'm currently working on there is a nice neat slot cut in the fibreglass on the inside of the car below the original backing plate already, identical on both sides. I assume done at the factory to enable them to fit the original backing plate. The slots have been sealed with black sealant like various other places. I've only seen this on this car so don't know if it was something only done to later cars? (Its a Jan 82 car). The car hasn't had the plates replaced already as the ball studs are at a slight angle and doesn't look like anyone has been in that area and looks factory. Although I can't say for 100% sure.
I know these slots were not present on my car (April 81). As you know I've done this repair on mine, but I made some new ball stud brackets that fit along the horizontal surface more like the style of the henninger ones, however much nicer looking! They are longer and fit with the shape of that area, secured with counter sunk screws and painted satin black, so although you can see them they dont look too out of place. The screws go through the fibreglass to a backing plate of the same dimensions as the bracket, so the fibreglass is sandwiched between, spreading the load over a large area. They have been on the car for about two and a half years and are still fine. There is no flexing going on and they seem to do the job well enough so I will leave them as they are, but I do need to sort out something for the other car.
Phil349

VIN #: 1128

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat