Importing a car from the USA

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Re: Importing a car from the USA

Postby DeLorean Cars » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:29 pm

arranj wrote:Martin - out of interest, who do you use as your "reputable source stating the car was originally built in the UK"?

Edit - it's not just proof that it was built in the UK - you have to prove that it was built and commercially exported, ie it was never sold in the UK then exported.

I submitted an original brochure to C&E in Southampton when bringing #3720 in (it was on the boat when they deicded to revoke the BTI). They've always just accepted it since then. Never sent the brochure back though, ba"""""ds.

When I originally tracked this obscure bit of legislation down, some people were trying to say it was dodgy!

It relates to waiving the time limit on returned goods relief whereby Duty is reduced from 10% to a flat rate of £50.

David Old at Wallenius & Wilhelmsen is a very useful and efficient agent for clearing a car into the UK, even if it's not coming in via W&W.
DeLorean Cars

VIN #: 4772, 3352

Re: Importing a car from the USA

Postby A Van » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Apparently if you import a car in bits...ie the car is pushed on into a container and the engine follows in a crate later...you can say its parts..this apparently changes the charges again..to what I dont yet know..but it is reduced.
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753