Importing a car from the USA

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Importing a car from the USA

Postby arranj » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:52 pm

We're currently doing a page with up-to-date advice on importing a car into the UK, so I was/we were wondering if anyone could explain the process/tips/tricks etc here for the benefit of those of us who know nothing.... :mrgreen:
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Re: Importing a car from the USA

Postby jerzybondov » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:03 pm

PJ Grady's site's got a pretty good write-up - I used that as my set of instructions when importing mine!
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm not talking about plagiarizing, just basic "what you did" - and all that tax stuff (UP TO DATE)?
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:30 pm

OK! Here's a basic list of what I did...

1) Get a faxed/scanned&emailed Bill of Sale from the vendor
2) Get a faxed/scanned&emailed vehicle title from the vendor
3) Transfer the funds!
4) Arrange a haulier to take your car to the nearest port (http://www.transportreviews.com is useful)
5) Call various shipping companies to get the best quote (TGAL, Schumachers and others)
6) Book yourself some trans-Atlantic shipping
7) Email/fax the shipping company all the documentation you have. Real documentation should go with the car so US customs can sign it all off
8) Wait
9) Receive the real title and customs export docs that the shipping company Fed-Ex to you (at your expense).
10) Either (a) get up to speed with UK HMRC ins and outs or (b) hire yourself a shipping agent to facilitate the import process
11) If (b) then send them all the documentation you have regarding the sale (the actual docs, not copies), including a letter from a reputable source stating the car was originally built in the UK. This will mean you avoid paying 10% import tax. If (a) you will still need this letter, but you'll need to send it to the relevant person at HMRC.
12) Dig out your cheque book again to pay the 15% VAT (on the purchase price and shipping cost), and any dock fees or admin charges.
13) Pick up your motor from whichever port it arrived at. Legally it's best to do this on a trailer. If you're like me, you pick up a complete shed that is mechanically a complete unknown and then attempt to drive 120 miles through a snowstorm whilst un-registered and un-MOT'd.
14) You are now the proud keeper of a shit 80's car!

:mrgreen:

TAX CLARIFICATION
So let's say you spend $15k on the car itself, $500 on hauliage to US port and £1,300 on shipping the car across the Atlantic. Your tax bill if your car was not a DeLorean would be this (assuming $1.5 to the pound):
Import Duty: (£10,000 + £1,300) x 10% = £1,130
VAT: (£10,000 + £1,300 + £1,130) x 15% = £1,865
TAX BILL: £1130 + £1865 = £2,995

BUT if you get your letter stating your car is a DeLorean and was built in the UK, then the import duty is waived. You just pay the VAT:
VAT: (£10,000 + £1,300) x 15% = £1,695

Note that the hauliage sum is NOT included in the shipping cost.

Note also that the value of your car is based upon the dollar value of the vehicle at the point at which the VAT is calculated - i.e. this could be two months after the point of sale. If the dollar has got stronger in that time, you'll get charged more VAT.

For this reason it's worth getting the vendor to make the bill of sale out in pounds if you (a) think the dollar might strengthen over the next two months at the point of sale or (b) don't fancy running the risk (it could weaken as well as strengthen).
VIN 7176
jerzybondov

Spaxed

Postby tourettes tony » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:06 pm

phew im glad i brought mine when i did :shock: well sort of :lol: TT
vin# freedom :)
X factor winner 2009
Yorkshire squirt winner 2009
Officially no more engine rebuilds well maybe 2 more :)

If you need any Tech help, don't ask
Club Cultural Ambassador and Official Tourettes Tutor
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
tourettes tony

VIN #: 30035

Postby turkish » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Jez,
Tys and I were looking at importing from the USA, on a scale of 1-10 how hard was it for you and would you do it again?, just wondered as i can get the car i want for nearly half the price in the USA, so we assumed it was a pain to import.
Maria x x x
DCUK ! :0)
turkish
DWAG

Postby jerzybondov » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Well for me it wasn't so much difficult as time consuming. Maybe 3 out of 10 for difficulty, 6 out of 10 for time involved. Note though that if the car is a non runner or doesn't have a title both of those will be much higher!

I'd do it again, definitely. It's the waiting months for the car that's the worst bit!
VIN 7176
jerzybondov

Spaxed

Postby bozzzydmc » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:24 pm

I would def do it again, all of the 'worry' was in my own tiny brain ;)

Maybe next time i would import a mustang or something .... ;)

turkish wrote:Hi Jez,
Tys and I were looking at importing from the USA, on a scale of 1-10 how hard was it for you and would you do it again?, just wondered as i can get the car i want for nearly half the price in the USA, so we assumed it was a pain to import.
Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

Postby arranj » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Martin - out of interest, who do you use as your "reputable source stating the car was originally built in the UK"?

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

Spaxed

Postby turkish » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:18 pm

bozzzydmc wrote:I would def do it again, all of the 'worry' was in my own tiny brain ;)

Maybe next time i would import a mustang or something .... ;)

turkish wrote:Hi Jez,

Well if you do that bozzy make sure its a black dominator and i will buy it off you !!!!
Seriously I know its a long wait and hassle but i bet when you finally pick it up its an amazing feeling !
Maria x x x
DCUK ! :0)
turkish
DWAG

Next

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat